Monday, January 31, 2005

Watermelon Sacrifice

A large part of Jazzfest fun consists of seeing extremely weird, random stuff that you would never encounter in everyday life. A fine example of such an event is the "Watermelon Sacrifice." The sacrifice takes place at the Fais Do-Do Stage on the first Friday of the Fest, between the second-to-last and last bands of the day. I could try to explain exactly what occurs, but I think this website does a far better job of doing so than I possibly could.

However, so Nate, Josh and I can be ready, I will put the lyrics of the "sacrificial chant" here for anyone who wants to practice up:

Watermelon, Watermelon Red to the Rind,
If you don't believe me, just pull down your blind
Sell it to rich, Sell it to the poor,
Sell it to the lady Standin in da do-or-or,
In da do-or-or

Sacrificing fruit -- it doesn't get much weirder -- or more fun. Only in New Orleans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home